Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Mission Accomplished!







Uf-da.

The Screen Porch is DONE. The cottage it is attached to is not square, level, plumb or straight, so the pressure was not high for my portion, but it did not make it any easier to erect. The roof shingles were old and rotted in some places, so putting the flashing in was a challenge, but with enough caulk and spit, I think it will keep mother nature from getting in. Through the roof anyway. Through the screens, there isn't much I can do about that.

It will be good to spend a couple days just doing physical work that does not involve quite so much heavy thinking and figuring out. I am cleaning out a basement this week, and it will be a nice change. Yes, the work will be heavier than what I have been doing, but it will tax my brain less, and after creating the porch from scratch with no plans but an idea in my head, this will be nice.

There is talk of a Ferron concert in Bar Harbor next week. I think we might go to it. I think it might be required as a lesbian to go. I have seen Melissa Etheridge (several times) Melissa Ferrick (once) and the usual assortment of angry lesbians with guitars, plus Christine Lavin, Cheryl Wheeler and a bunch of other folkies, but somehow I have never seen Ferron. Or Ani DeFranco. Probably have to do that before I die. I saw Joan Armatrading once. Good God. That was amazing. Abso-fucking-lutely amazing. And then there was Joan Baez, the Indigo Girls (who opened for Joan) Tracy Chapman, Dar Williams (who also opened for Joan) and a bunch of others through the years.

It's been a while since I have been to a concert. Perhaps we should go just for that reason alone. Besides, it might be fun.

Not much to talk about today. Somehow that feels good. I shall save the heavy thinking for later. For now, I simply have to take out the trash.

2 comments:

MRMacrum said...

Cottages are like the lake camps around here. Often built by folks who put on the tool belt on weekends and did not know what a level was, nevermind how to use it. The porch looks great. Nice clean job. Your roof tie in looks like it might have caused more anquish than any of the rest of the job.

Unknown said...

Joan. Armatrading.

She is the love of my life. Really and truly. I've seen her an obsessive seven times in concert. If I was independently wealthy I would be a ridiculous groupie and follow her to the ends of the earth.

Your mention of Joan has now elevated you to new heights, my friend.