Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sunday brunch


OK, so 9 a.m. hardly feels like "brunch," but when someone offers to treat at Cafe This Way, I roll out and present myself to be fed.

This has got to be about my favorite place to have breakfast on the island. Run by a couple of College of the Atlantic alumnae, it is at once homey and funky and modern and retro. The waitstaff is fun and easygoing, but they're serious about keeping my coffee cup full, and that is how it ought to be when you're out for breakfast.

What you are looking at here is a breakfast special called "The Harney". It is named for a fellow COA alum, one Mary Harney, native of the Emerald Isle and a delightful soul in her own right. The breakfast has corned beef hash fried just so, two poached eggs on top, and homemade Hollandaise Sauce. I get mine with an extra little thing of sauce. Oh, and it comes with toast. All the better to sop up everything.

Oh man, but this is heaven on a plate. I'm hoping to bring a bunch of gaynet folks to Cafe This Way for breakfast on the Sunday morning of the big weekend. We might not get to be at the same table, but I think everybody will have a good time.

What a grand thing breakfast can be.

No comments: