Friday, August 1, 2008

Recipe Friday


It's been a cold, wet, rainy day here on the coast and I decided to make some carrot-ginger soup of which L is particularly fond. I also thought I could share the recipe. It is one of about three vegetarian recipes that I have. It is based loosely on a recipe from the Fog City Diner Cookbook, but only loosely. My proportions are different, I skip a couple of things they do, and I add a few things they don't. Oh, and I use a different method at the end as well. I think that is enough to make it my recipe and not theirs. My apologies to any who disagree.

Carrot-Ginger Soup

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cups onions, large dice
2 cups celery, large dice
5 cups carrots, 1 1/2 inch pieces
1/4 cup minced garlic
2/3 cup grated fresh ginger (piece weighed about 6 ounces to start)
2 cans chicken broth plus two cans water
3/4 cup cream
kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper to taste
chopped scallions (garnish)
Yogurt or sour cream

In a large, heavy pot, sauté the onions in the oil until they become translucent. Add the celery and the carrots and stir around until everything begins to get acquainted. Add the garlic, ginger, chicken broth and water. Cover and let bubble for about 45 minutes until everything is tender.

Remove from heat and blend using an immersion blender (boat motor) until you have a thick puree. You can use a regular blender for this if you want or a food processor, but I prefer the boat motor. I don't have to ladle stuff from one vessel to another and then to a third, working in batches and all. The boat motor lets me use one pot. Taste and add salt and pepper according to your preferences. Add the cream, stir and get ready to serve. Garnish with sour cream and chopped scallions. Makes 8-12 cups. Feeds however many are hungry depending on how you serve it.

We usually serve it over cooked rice to give body to what otherwise looks and feels a lot like baby food.

We also will fry up some extra-firm tofu cubes in toasted sesame oil and a splash of tamari and put those on top of the soup and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Tonight I made some giant-sized Bakewell Cream Biscuits to go with it. Heavenly...

No comments: