Wednesday, March 25, 2009

pushing things


Here you see the remnants of our first grilled outdoors steaks of the season. Couple of nice little boneless rib eyes, rubbed vigorously with coarse salt and pepper, then grilled rare and doused with A-1 sauce for L, and (sorry Robin) Blue Cheese dressing for me. Served with garlic mashed potatoes made with real sour cream and butter and peas. With butter. Well, duh. Of course.

I needed to cook outside today. It was not the warmest day we've had so far, but I think my area has had all it can stand of a long, miserable winter and reluctant spring. We had a few days a while back when the temperature got up over 50 degrees - and those were wonderful - but we knew they were anomalies. We're almost into April now, and we just can't stand it any more.

I met a friend for coffee today. She showed up in her Saab with the top down. While we chatted, a young man and his girl rode by on a motorcycle. The thermometer didn't ever nudge past 45 here today.

We can't wait any longer for spring. Odds are we'll get one more snowstorm, but we won't shovel it. "Screw that," we'll say. "Nature put 'er down, Nature'll take 'er away. No sense gettin' a hernia over something that's gonna melt inside a week."

No shit. We do that.

Even if it's a foot.

Our New England gets up and just refuses to be bullied by the weather one more time this season. So there. Time will win out, after all. Spring will come. It always has.

8 comments:

Chef Cthulhu said...

We grilled our first steak the very first day of spring. We almost grilled chicken breasts again this evening, but after shuttling oldest back and forth to little league tryouts and putting the little ones to bed we just said fukkit and got takeout.

Robin said...

Only sorry Robin me because I'm on a diet and not eating blue cheese, one of my very favorite things on the planet, certainly not because I'm kosher, which I'm not at all (not even the tiniest little bit). Steak w/blue cheese sauce, you're killin' me Dawn...

Queenie said...

I feel exactly the same way...cannot wait for this cold and yuk to be over. GIVE ME SOME GREENERY!

Fia said...

I cackled. It's funny because it's true.

Anonymous said...

I know we Connecticut folk are not as hearty as you, but we have a line too. The minute the themometer crosses that acceptable 50 degree line once we are done. Done with winter coats and wearin' flipflops, dammit.

Anonymous said...

The Divine Intervention Method of Snow Removal. I know it well. Haven't had it this year.
BUT.
You'll be SOOOOO glad to know we're under a blizzard warning right now until tomorrow morning. We've gotten close to 6 inches in the last 3 hours. It's a snow day. I have both boys home and Princess Rosie won't go outside.
We like getting all four seasons in Colorado, but getting them all in the space of a few days is freaking ridiculous.

Carole McDonnell said...

I love it. Cooking as defiance! That garlic mash sounded soooo good. -C

MRMacrum said...

I have a friend who grills on his porch once a wekk rain or shine. Winter snow up to his butt or not. Nothing beats a good piece of meat just barely burned from a grill. I envy you and now my mouth is watering. Damn.