Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Gratitude, entry two

I am grateful today.

I am grateful that it is not raining, that it is not snowing and that I have work that pays me well and keeps me challenged all day.

I am grateful that I have kind and healthy people around me each day - smart and decent people to work with who compliment what I know by filling in the bits that I don't know, and who are enthusiastic about the job.

I am grateful that I have a place to live and that I have found another place to live that is going to be more convenient for me in the coming months and years.

I am grateful that I have received a call to ministry, even though it scares the hell out of me. Suddenly a lot of my life makes sense now. All those classes in unrelated things, a lifetime spent acquiring diverse experiences and skills. Now it makes sense.

I am grateful for corned beef hash and poached eggs for breakfast. I am grateful that I have ample food and the skills to prepare it. I am grateful that I have skills and energy to nurture those around me when they need it.

I am grateful for my sobriety and what it means for me. There is nothing in my life that I would have now if I were drinking. I am grateful for the tools I have to do life that I have learned through my 12-step recovery program. How to be a responsible adult. How to own what is mine and let go of what is not. How to have empathy without interfering or trying to rescue.

I am grateful for the robin in my yard this morning and the crocuses I saw at church on Sunday. Spring is coming.

I am grateful for my family, the cobbled-together crew of friends and relations that let me know that I am loved and important. Some members are bigger fans than others, but that's OK.

I am grateful that I have a vehicle that does most of what I need it to do (I'd really like it to get better gas mileage, but I understand that is not likely to happen.)

I am grateful for my pets who are glad to see me when I get home. Their love in unconditional in a way I can only dream of achieving.

I am grateful for this aging laptop computer. It allows me to connect with the world and to lots of people and it allows me to learn so many things.

I am grateful for my Internet friends. There are so many people whom I have met through this space and not in person, but whose lives they share with me as I share with them. We fuss about each other's jobs and families and children and pets and cars and we watch the news and weather in other parts of the country with an eye for the places where our blog buddies live.

I am grateful for the people who visit this blog. I am curious as to how and why they found me and what brings them back. I am curious to know who visits regularly from Helsinki, and who checks in from Australia. How did you find me? What keeps you coming back? If you don't want to leave a comment where others can see it, drop me a note at bbginanp AT roadrunner DOT com. I'd love to hear it.

I am grateful for so much in my life today. It's really not a bad life. It's more exciting than I would like some days, but all things considered, it really ain't that bad.

Thanks for listening this morning. Care to share what you're grateful for?

2 comments:

Robin said...

I am grateful for you. You challenge me and encourage me to think beyond the narrow confines of my comfort zone.

Who makes only the barest fleeting reference to corned beef hash with poached eggs.

Who didn't mention hollandaise sauce at all, which would surely have driven me right over the edge into the abyss.

I am NOT grateful for my lousy internet connection, which crapped out right as this comment was posting, forcing me to write it all over again, less well than I did the first time.

Robin said...

See, that should have been "I'm grateful that you made" only the barest fleeting reference...

I told you it was better the first time. Argh.