Saturday, January 2, 2010

snow

It's been snowing for three solid days now. It is Saturday, and I finally went out to clear some snow from my accounts, and spent the better part of the day at the business end of a push-scoop. It moves snow quickly and efficiently and with a minimum amount of wear and tear on my back, unlike the old-fashioned shovel I used last year.

This is really the first BIG storm of this winter. Oh, we got a few snowstorms in November and December, but they dumped maybe 6 or 8 inches and then left. This bad boy? Well, let's say he's settled in and has his feet up on the coffee table. It started snowing on Thursday, New Year's Eve. We lost electricity briefly that night, but they were restored and then it kept snowing all day Friday and Friday night. Now it is Saturday, and it has been snowing and blowing all day again today. It is forecast to continue through the night and all day tomorrow, tapering off sometime Sunday night or Monday morning. Ugh.

My sermon for tomorrow morning has been postponed until next month due to the bad weather. See, UUs have the good sense to cancel services when the weather turns to shit.

Congregationalists? Not so much. I have to be at the church nice and early to get the paths and steps cleared so people will be able to get in for the 10 a.m. service. My plan is to arrive at around 5 and start clearing. When I was there this afternoon, the walkways I shoveled first were already covered with an inch of snow by the time I finished the last ones. I expect tomorrow morning will offer a similar kind of exercise. It feels like a WPA project, only I clear the path and nature fills it back in again. Grr.

With any luck, I'll get some pictures of what I'm doing, but those may have to wait for Monday's final clean-up round. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

msladyDeborah said...

You be careful out there Dawn!

I hope that when you deliver your sermon that you will be gracious enough to share it with us. I am interested in what you have to say.

Stay warm and hang in there!